PayPal

Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolutions Require Resolve

Last year is over. Whatever that means. Symbolically the new year brings new beginnings and in the case of 2012...new apocalypse theories. But, how different are you right now than you were on December 31st? Did the magic of the ball dropping transform you into the person you thought you were all along? Did your credit rating improve? Did you get a raise? Your spouse more desirable? Hell...are YOU more desirable?

Chances are...you're the same person (good or bad) that you were last year . Your resolutions, if you made any, won't be any easier to achieve just because the calendar shows a different year (unless your resolution was to correctly write/type 2012 instead of 2011). What resolutions require are not dates...they need resolve. You have to be capable of the change. You want to lose weight? If you wanted to get healthy 6 months ago, what's different now? Is exercise easier in 2012? Are you less hungry? Nah...you have to want it. (Side note...never write about healthy eating habits in a food court...self-fulfilling prophecy b)

This time of year is a reminder that everything you want to do (within reason) is possible. I say within reason because I don't want to be held responsible when some moron on meth decides that the Matrix wasn't just a movie and tries to jump off a building and fly like Neo. (RIP to that guy). It's also a reminder that the only obstacle to your success is your mind. Unless you have a medical condition, your weight is controlled by your eating, and exercise habits (and in some part genetics). Living within your means financially doesn't require more money, it requires more discipline. Here's where you find out who you are...are you the person who makes poor decisions and then concludes that the cards are stacked against you? Are you the person who stares in the mirror and accepts responsibility for their own flaws/faults? A little of both? It's less important to know what's going on in the world, than it is to know what's going on in YOU. Do you know everything that's happening with multiple celebrities, but can't figure out why you are short on funds a week before your check comes every month? (if you stop spending money on gossip mags...I'm just saying). Do you know how many diets Oprah has been on, while your treadmill collects dust in the corner? (Miss Celie is rich enough to be as big as she chooses to be...is she still with Stedman?)

I made no resolutions...well not for the new year. I resolve everyday to be better than I was yesterday. I guess that means I fail more than most. But I also succeed more than most. Resolutions are supposed to help you improve your life. Why should that only occur once per year?

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I don't need the Christian calendar to tell me that what day I should resolve to make promises to myself that I break the other 364 days.
    Anais Nin said it best:
    I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me.

    ReplyDelete